Thank you for your interest—Council welcomes your participation. The purpose of a Public Hearing is for Council to receive comments from the public, either in person (electronically) or in writing, regarding a Zoning Bylaw or Official Community Plan Bylaw amendment.
Hearings generally take place at 7:00 pm on the date of a Council Meeting; however, this is adjusted to allow for more time when more public input is anticipated on the hearing’s topic. Notification requirements for a Public Hearing include two newspaper advertisements, information on the City of Terrace website, and provision of information to affected property owners.
To address Council electronically via the Microsoft Teams platform or by phone, please see the details provided above.
Public Participation Information
- Speakers will be limited to three minutes per speaking opportunity. There will be an alert when 30 seconds are remaining.
- It is recommended that those who attend in person (in Council Chambers or electronically) prepare a written submission that can be read aloud to the meeting.
- No member of the public should feel discouraged, intimidated, or otherwise prevented from making their views known. Inappropriate or disrespectful language, outbursts, or criticisms aimed at individuals or groups will not be tolerated.
- At the end of the hearing, the Mayor will call for any further speakers. There will be multiple opportunities to be heard.
- In the event that there are still speakers wishing to address Council at the end of the evening (a time will be set), the Mayor will recess the meeting, to resume at a date and time announced at the hearing.
- Clearly state your name and residential address in order for your comments to be part of the public record. By participating, you are consenting to sharing this personal information. Anonymous comments and emails are not considered.
- Ensure that comments are directed to Council. There is no opportunity to debate points of view expressed by other speakers.
- Restrict your remarks to matters contained in the proposed bylaw. Be succinct—keep your comments clear and on topic.
Please send written submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org or send mail or drop off a letter in person to 3215 Eby St, Terrace, BC V8G 2X8. Written submissions form part of the public record and will be forwarded to the Development Services department. They are required by 11 am on the day of the Public Hearing.
Following the Close of the Public Hearing:
Council may not receive submissions from the public following the close of the Hearing. Any questions or comments following the Hearing must be directed to staff.
Following the Hearing, Council may consider Third Reading of the bylaw, or may decide to consider the bylaw at a future Council meeting.