ARE YOU PASSIONATE ABOUT SERVING YOUR COMMUNITY, ENSURING THE SAFETY OF YOUR NEIGHBOURS, AND MAKING A POSITIVE IMPACT IN EMERGENCY SITUATIONS?
The City of Terrace Fire Department is recruiting Volunteer Firefighters. This is an excellent opportunity to contribute to your community and gain valuable training and experience. Volunteer Firefighters are extensively trained according to NFPA Standards. Volunteers complement the Career Firefighters in response to fires, rescues, medical and other emergencies. They also contribute to the community as volunteers and participants in special events.
Volunteer Firefighters are expected to attend Tuesday evening practice sessions, as well as occasional weekend practices. They are also expected to respond to emergency calls promptly and efficiently and collaborate with fellow firefighters.
If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer Firefighter, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- High school graduation
- Normal vision subject to firefighter eye and vision standards
- Criminal record check
- Possess a valid class 5 BC Driver’s Licence
- Be able to meet the Fire Department’s physical agility requirements
- Be able to obtain a medical examination certificate proving you are fit to participate in firefighting activities
- Ability to work in high-stress situations and make quick, informed decisions
- Strong teamwork, communication, and problem solving skills
- Commitment to attend regular training sessions and meetings
The benefit of becoming a Volunteer Firefighter is that you will gain valuable training and hands-on experience in emergency response, the opportunity to make a difference in your community, and networking and skill-building within a dynamic team environment.
At the City of Terrace, we are committed to creating a workplace that is welcoming and inclusive for all. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals who self-identify as belonging to underrepresented and historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to: Indigenous peoples, people of colour, women, LGBTQ25+ individuals, people with disabilities, and newcomers to Canada.
If you are interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter, resume and completed Volunteer Firefighter Application referencing Posting #66-2023 to:
City of Terrace
3215 Eby Street
Terrace, BC V8G 2X8
Attention: Terri Williamson, Human Resources Manager