Following community consultation, the City of Terrace Council, along with Directors of the Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine have decided on which upgrades they would like to see in the Aquatic Centre renewal project. The following improvements will be included in the upgrade:
- The fitness room addition will increase in size from the original proposed size of 1188 sq.ft. to approximately 2000 sq.ft.
- The size of the leisure pool will increase in size from 850 sq.ft. to 1200 sq.ft., with water features like a lazy river, a water cannon and similar fun activities.
- The configuration of the hot tub will change and all pools will be upgraded with accessibility ramps.
- All pool gutter systems will be upgraded and UV disinfection system added.
- Improvements to the air distribution system in the natatorium will be part of the project.
- Two new boilers are planned and related piping distribution to the main pool is part of the project.
- Stairs to the second level viewing have been repositioned to open the lobby and pool viewing area.
- New tile finishes on the walls and floor of the existing change rooms will be completed.
The tentative date for the Aquatic Centre’s closure is February 3, 2017. Construction is expected to begin on February 13, 2017 and take roughly eight months to complete.
Stay tuned to the City of Terrace website and Facebook page for information on key project milestones and updates.
Project plans can be found at: http://www.terrace.ca/sites/default/files/docs/floorplates.pdf